Email Marketing is not dead, in fact, one of the least expensive ways to generate business. Email marketing boasts the highest ROI of any marketing channel. Unfortunately, people get so many damn emails they end up deleting most of them, sight unseen. ⠀
Here are some tips to make sure your emails do not get deleted without even being read. If you are not even sure where your campaigns are going wrong. These email marketing tips are specifically for you. Specifically, optimizing your email subject lines and segmenting your emails.
Irresistible Subject Lines
The subject line is the first thing that someone sees. It needs to speak directly to them and promise them something that stands out against the other emails in their inbox. For this reason, it is the most important part of your email. Because the rest of the content won’t matter if they don’t open the email, and then you lost the lead.
- Call out a specific problem in the subject line and ideally hint at a solution. Subject line example: Increase (solution to the problem) for (company name).
- Personalize without being cheesy. They know it’s a damn marketing email. Whether it is addressing them personally with a name or make it come from a person, the owner, the salesperson they have been working with. Personalization and connection go a long way.
- Keep it short, as most platforms (outlook, mobile, etc.) only show around 30-40 characters in preview mode. People delete out of preview mode so subject line content that doesn’t display in preview mode won’t help your open rates.
One of the main mistakes I see from aspiring email marketers is making the subject line too general. Remember, the open rate isn’t everything. The idea is to specifically trigger people that might buy something, not everyone else. I recommend a direct approach and an honest approach. Solve the problem.
Segmenting your email marketing list by reader demographics makes it easier to create a message that really resonates with your reader’s needs. This makes it more likely that they will engage and purchase something.
A few targeting tactics for building out an email with maximum relevance and resonance with your customers are:
- Targeting by Location
- Gender and/or Age
- Purchasing Behavior
- These are just two examples. What do your best clients have in common?
A targeted deliberate email can feel like it is coming from a friend. The best way to connect with subscribers is to give personalized, individualized content that make it feel relevant and engaging to the recipient.
Benefits of Email Marketing
Email Marketing is so beneficial there is no reason to not implement this strategy into your digital marketing plan. The top five benefits are relevance, response, revenue, relationships, and retention.
- Relevance – Sending emails to a niche segment gives you the opportunity to create messages that are unique to their specific wants and needs. For this reason, it will resonate and remember your brand in the future.
- Response – Once they open your email it’s more likely they will engage with it.
- Revenue – More conversions lead to more revenue.
- Relationships – Creating relationships with prospects and customers. Giving them value and helping them with their pain points leads to trust.
- Retention – Leveraging the relationship you already have with a customer and consistently improving it and keeping them engaged.
If you need help creating powerful subject lines and making your email marketing work for your brand, the Go McIntyre team can help you. Reach out today and let me guide you into getting one million leads and increase your revenue.